This blog is my attempt to share information with faculty, introducing new apps, websites, or other snippets of information that may be of use to faculty. I am also using it to keep track of projects I'm working on that might be good to reference in the future.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Updating/Jailbreaking an iPhone 3GS

I had a iPhone 3GS with no SIM card, and so I jail broke it last summer.  I have not gotten around to using it a lot, so it's been sitting in a drawer for a few months.

When I turned it on today, it said I could update to a new OS.  Because it is jailbroken, when up you update the iOS, it is unbroken....I forgot this until after I had started the iOS update to 6.  However when the iPhone connected to install the new OS, it went into a reboot cycle.  The apple could come up, stay on that screen for a few seconds and then reboot.  After doing some research it seems that Apple does not support the firmware for iPhone 3GS and that this is a common problem.

To fix this the only solution seemed to be to download and run the latest version of redsn0w for win.  Later I came across another possible method using a program called evasi0n.

Running redsn0w allowed me to get it back to iOS 5.1.1.

I wanted to see if I could get it to iOS6 somehow, but could not get it to work.  redsn0w supposedly has an tethered jailbreaking method, but I could not get it to work....will try again later.

The reason I wanted to get this old 3GS working again is that I wanted an iOS device in case I needed to try out some things for work/education.  With my using a Kindle Fire HD, I won't have another iOS device to test item on.  With a jailbroken device I can still get apps from the iTunes store to test out.

I have the following devices: Windows 7 Dell Laptop, Kindle Fire HD, Motorola Droid Razr and now an iPhone3GS.

No comments: