This blog is my attempt to share information with faculty, introducing new apps, websites, or other snippets of information that may be of use to faculty. I am also using it to keep track of projects I'm working on that might be good to reference in the future.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chromebook - Remote Control a PC

A Chromebook is very easy to use, light and quick to boot up...thus making it much easier to take with you.  As easy as it is to use, because of my job I need to use some specific software program, which are not web based and require a Windows computer to run.  There are just something things that a Chromebook can't do for me, such as run Windows only programs.  But there is a workaround......Google's Chrome Remote Desktop.


There are over 1.5 million users for this Google built plug-in (not a third party vendor).  What it allows you to do is remotely log in and control either a Windows or Mac computer.  Both computers need to have Chrome installed and the Chrome Remote Desktop app installed.  When you run it, it will ask you whether you want to set it up to control the computer remotely, or whether you want to connect to another computer to remotely control it.  You can not remote control a Chromebook yet, so remote trouble shooting of a Chromebook is currently not available with this app.  This feature should be coming soon, but for a Chromebook user who wants the ability to run a Windows program while on the Chromebook, this meets the need.  I'm been testing and setting up my Windows machine so that when I travel to Oahu later this month, I can just take the Chromebook and still do all my work like I'm in the office.

When using the app, you can go full screen or stay in browser window.  The graphics and look are much easier to read in Full Screen mode, but I assume if you need to jump between browser tabs, you would be better to view in the Chrome browser tab.

 
If you have a desktop PC, and are looking to be more mobile (or work from home/on-the-road) then this app via the Chromebook is a great tool.  There are other remote control apps avaiable, but this one is from Google so you can trust them a bit more than some unknown 3rd party vendor, but if you need to remote control a Chromebook and do remote troubleshooting on a Chrombook, you will need to look elsewhere.  A possible option is 2x Client for RDP/Remote Desktop.

Beware, others give you a free trial, but will cost you a fee to use after the trial period.  Chrome Remote Control is free.

No comments: